Many people experience anxiety and fear while visiting the dentist. At the office of Victor J. Dongo DMD, FAGD, DICOI, your comfort is our number-one concern, and we want to make sure that you feel at ease when you visit us. If you experience dental anxiety or fear, we invite you to call us at (786) 709-9037 before your dental appointment in Hialeah Gardens, Florida, to discuss your anxiety with our dental professionals, so that we can help you feel more comfortable during your appointment.
Dental anxiety is often triggered by fears. Common dental fears include:
- Embarrassment about the condition of your teeth
- Loss of control
- Not becoming numb when injected with Novocain or another anesthetic
- The drill
- The dentist as a person
When you visit our practice, our gentle dental professionals will do their best to calm your fears and soothe your anxieties so that you can receive a quick, painless treatment.
Recent advances in technology have allowed us to replace noisy drills with quieter, less painful technology, such as lasers. We are also able to offer a number of safe anesthetics to eliminate pain and discomfort, and to reduce anxiety. There are also a number of things that you can do to help reduce your fear and anxiety:
- Talk to us. Unfortunately, we cannot read your minds, and we may not now when you are feeling anxious or fearful. We know it can be difficult and even embarrassing to talk about your fears with strangers. But if we know about your dental anxiety, we can take extra precautions to make sure you feel safe and comfortable.
- Bring a portable music player. Music can act as a relaxant and drown out fear-producing noises. Many people find that listening to relaxing music helps reduce their anxiety.
- Agree on a signal. Speak with our dentist beforehand and come up with a “stop” signal. This way, we can pause if you are anxious or in pain and help you relax or adjust our treatment to be more comfortable for you.
- Use a throat spray. Throat sprays can help control your gag reflex. Two or three sprays will usually keep your gag reflex under control for about an hour. Common throat sprays include Vicks® and Chloraseptic® throat sprays. Our office can also make recommendations about appropriate throat sprays if necessary.
- Bring a mirror with you. Sometimes people find that they experience great anxiety when they cannot see what is happening. If you bring a mirror, we can help you position it so that you can watch your dental procedure.
- Sedation dentistry. There are several types of sedation dentistry available if you feel you cannot cope with only local anesthetics. Contact our office to learn about the sedation options we offer.
- Ask about alternative treatment options. Advances in technology and dental techniques mean that dental microsurgery is now an option. Alternative treatment methods – such as laser dentistry – is also available. Feel free to contact us about alternatives to traditional dental treatments.
If you have further questions or concerns about your visit to our dentist, and to learn more about how we can help you overcome your dental anxiety and fear, please call our practice.